The Comptroller General of Nigeria Immigration Service (CGIS), Muhammad Babandede, has approved the appointment of Amos Okpu, an Assistant Comptroller of Immigration (ACI) as the new Service Public Relations Officer (SPRO).
Naija News reports that this was made known in a statement released on Thursday and signed by CSI SK Kure.
Okpu replaces Sunday James (now a Comptroller) who has been deployed to head the Service’ Operations at Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport (NAIA), Abuja.
The statement reads in part:
- ACI OKPU is an alumnus of the University of Lagos where he obtained Bachelor’s and Master’s Degrees in Mass Communication.
- He is a seasoned Immigration Officer with special expertise in Migration Management and Border Security and has been a facilitator on TIP/SOM trainings with the UNODC and others. He currently chairs the ECOWAS’ Border Management Thematic Working Group of the Migration Dialogue of West Africa (MIDWA).
- He has attended various Courses within and outside the Service. These include: Superintendent Basic Course at Immigration Training School, Kano, Course 17 (Refined Group) of the Policy Strategy and Leadership Course at the National Institute of Policy and Strategy Studies (NIPSS) Kuru, Jos, and Document Fraud Detection Course organized at different times by IOM/EU and Spanish Government.
- He has also held other appointments including Special Assistant to CGIS on Reforms (Reform Champion) and Special Assistant to the CGIS on Standards and Compliance, a position he held until this appointment.
- ACI OKPU has served in various Commands/Formations such as Lagos, Taraba, Benue, Zone ‘H’ among others. He is a member of the Nigerian Institute of Public Relations.
- The Comptroller General congratulates him and wishes that his wealth of experience would be impactful in his new assignment.